This six-lesson course is
part of a series of web-based refresher courses designed for those who
are preparing to take the CHPS certification examination. It focuses on
CHPS domains 1 and 4, reviewing the competencies of ethical, legal and
regulatory issues/external environment including investigation, compliance, and
enforcement principles and strategies (as covered in the CHPS certification
This course reflects information from the HITECH Final Omnibus Rule, effective 3/26/2013 (with a compliance date of 09/23/2013), and will reawaken your knowledge with an expert overview of incidence response planning that includes areas such as: which members to include on response teams, how to respond to incidents, and how to keep consistency throughout the plan.
Refresh your understanding of how to coordinate state and federal laws and regulations with your compliance plans and how to follow best practices for implementation and maintenance of documentation, inquiries, and responses to privacy and security practices. You will be reminded of optimal monitoring practices for access to PHI and be ready to describe how to develop and implement a system that evaluates risk to ensure follow-through.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of how to create an incident/complaint response resolution plan and identify response team members.
- Discuss how to coordinate an organization’s response to external inquiries and investigations.
- Recognize best practices for establishing privacy/security compliance indicators, and developing methods to measure compliance.
- Understand how to apply, monitor, and assess compliance with pertinent federal and state laws, regulations, and accreditation standards to effectively enforce appropriate processes and documentation (including policies and procedures).
- Discuss useful methods for optimal monitoring access to protected health information.
- Privacy and Security Obligations
- Other Influencing Factors
- Planning for Privacy and Security Compliance
- Understanding Privacy and Security Risks
- Incident and Inquiry Response
- Improving Organizational Privacy and Security Compliance
This refresher course is for CHPS exam candidates who already have the appropriate experience, educational background, and knowledge to sit for the exam.
AHIMA certifications are administered by the AHIMA Commission on Certification (COC). The COC does not contribute to, review, or endorse any review books, review sessions, study guides, or other exam preparatory activities.
Use of this product for AHIMA certification exam preparation in no way guarantees an exam candidate will earn a passing score on the exam.