This 9 lesson refresher course pays special attention to
the competencies related to HIPAA’s patient rights as covered in the CHPS
certification examination. Students can enhance their performance on the exam
after experiencing this overview of patient rights associated with protected
health information (PHI) and the handling of various requests for PHI. Students
will review best practices for managing breaches and federal breach guidelines,
as well as appropriate measures for managing the Notice of Privacy Practices.
This course reflects information from the HITECH Final Omnibus Rule, effective
3/26/2013 with a compliance date of 09/23/2013.
successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Establish, maintain, and distribute the organizational Notice of
Privacy Practices (NPP) to the consumer
- Discuss individual privacy rights for proper use and disclosure
of protected health information (PHI) for effective communication to the
consumer who is the subject of the PHI
- Apply the appropriate operations for processing various PHI
requests (e.g., amendments, restrictions)
- Identify the federal requirements (as well as effective
processing and management best practices) for
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Patient Access to PHI (paper, e-format, and e-access)
- Accounting of Disclosures
- Requests for Amendments or for Alternate Means of Confidential
- Requests for Restrictions
- Privacy and Security Breaches
- The Patient Directory
- Sharing PHI with Family Members and Others Involved in the
- Handling Complaints and Designing Patient-Friendly
This refresher course is for CHPS exam candidates who already have
the appropriate experience, educational background, and knowledge to sit for the
certifications are administered by the AHIMA Commission on Certification (COC).
The COC does not contribute to, review, or endorse any review books, review
sessions, study guides, or other exam preparatory activities.
Use of this product for AHIMA
certification exam preparation in no way guarantees an exam candidate will earn
a passing score on the exam.