Health Information Management Technology: An Applied Approach
creates a blueprint for success in the health information management (HIM)
field. Chapter content is expanded in the fifth edition to prepare students for
transitional and changing roles in an electronic health information environment.
All chapters are updated to reflect current HIM trends, practices, standards,
and legal issues.
Written by distinguished leaders in the field, this book guides students through two-year academic programs in preparation for the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification exam and beyond. The material is targeted for associate-degree students in easy-to-understand language and uses approachable examples and scenarios.
• Covers current CAHIIM curriculum standards for HIT and HIM programs and maps chapter content to the curriculum
• New 4-color interior design
• Check Your Understanding questions throughout each chapter to reinforce concept comprehension
• Real-World case studies presenting actual situations HIM professionals encounter appear at the end of each chapter to initiate discussion and elaborate on chapter topics
• Online student materials include a student workbook for additional knowledge application
• Downloadable online instructor ancillaries available to faculty of approved educational programs include
o Answers to Check Your Understanding questions and Real-World case studies
o An expanded test bank and key, also available in Respondus
o Mapping to CAHIIM-approved curriculum and the current RHIT exam competency domains
About the Volume Editors
Nanette B. Sayles, EdD, RHIA, CCS, CHDA, CHPS, CPHIMS, FAHIMA, is an associate professor in the health information management program at East Central College in Union, Missouri.
Leslie L. Gordon, MS, RHIA, FAHIMA, is an associate professor and the health information management program director at the University of Alaska Southeast, Sitka Campus. She currently serves on the Board of Commissioners of the Council of Accreditation of Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).